The National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language started functioning as an autonomous body w.e.f. 1.4.1996. NCPUL was declared a National Nodal Agency for Promotion of Urdu in the country devoted to promotion of Urdu language and mainstreaming of Urdu education. NCPUL has also been assigned the responsibility of promotion of Arabic and Persian languages which have played an important role in the development of composite culture of India. One of the significant objectives of the Council has been the transformation of the Urdu speaking population into part of the employable technological workforce in the emerging information technological scenario and the penetration of computer education to the grass root level. NCPUL has been given the role of networking of Urdu organizations throughout the country so that the policies of the Government are implemented in all Urdu speaking areas of the country. The objectives of the Council as are under:-
- To promote, develop and propagate Urdu Language.
- To take action for making available in Urdu language, the knowledge of scientific and technological development as well as knowledge of ideas evolved in the modern context
- To advise the Government on issues connected with Urdu language as may be referred to it.
- To undertake any other activity for the promotion of Urdu language as may be deemed fit by the Council.
NCPUL is implementing the following programmes:
- Calligraphy and Graphic Design Centres.
- Financial Assistance to 57 NGOs towards selected activities for promotion of Urdu.
- Bulk purchase of books to encourage writing of valuable books by bonafide authors/editors/translators etc.
- Provide financial assistance to individuals/NGOs for printing manuscripts in Urdu after due evaluation by experts
- Financial assistance to small and medium Urdu Newspapers.
- Publication programme for production of quality children literature and textbooks of Urdu medium schools.
- Organize seminars, symposia and workshops for promotion of Urdu
- Diploma in Urdu Courses through Hindi and English mediums
- Urdu on-line programme